Friday, November 21, 2014


Finally, I can announce that I've been working on: Sentree, a Local Multiplayer Mobile game: with the amazing guys at Glitchnap, along with audio wizard Martin Kvale and vector connoisseur Liselore Goedhart.

If you like yelling at your blind-folded friends (and honestly, who doesn't?): this one's for you. The game will be released in 2015. More to come, very soon…!

:: continue>

Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Behind the Islands (II)

Above: Some render steps while figuring out the lighting and material for the delicious tentacles in Island Still Life No.20.

For the new Island series I made a bit more use of Cinema 4D's built-in surface and volume shaders to play with the materiality of the objects. It's been a fun search in trying to keep the work digitally stylized while at the same time allowing some of the real-world references bleed through and inform how the materials are rendered. Illustrator was used here and there; by layering its obvious vector shapes over the rendered image, the interplay between those 2D and 3D-rendered-2D shapes allows for a sense of depth without the use of fake camera blurs. I'm quite happy where the work has been going.

You can buy prints of the series at my etsy shop!

There's some more sketchy stuff after the jump.

Above: build and re-build process for Island Still Life No.13.

Above: build process for Island Still Life No.14.

Above: On the left my initial idea to make the pattern in the petals like a peacock's tail (or a chinese sponge roll) didn't make it.

Above: No. 12 and No. 17 have been lost in 3D limbo because I didn't know where to go with them, hence the gaps in the current series' Island numbers. I'm sure I will revisit them at a later point to save whatever idea I can, as I did with No. 13.

[render render render]

:: continue>

Thursday, November 6, 2014


[islands ii coming soon]

:: continue>

Wednesday, November 5, 2014


It took me ages to get this piece done for my brother's dentist office, mostly because my initial ideas for the composition didn't work out. You can see more images of the final piece on my behance profile. After the jump are some shots from the work in progress.

Above: Trees! And the initital version of the forest (the grey is just to separate the different parts of the objects, for my ease of mind). I had intended a very dense amazon-like environment, but with so many trees packed close to each other I felt that the composition fell apart and the trees together just turned into a noisy polygon mess.

The old version of the hunters looked like some sort of cartoony sjaman sculptures. Not what I was looking for in this case.

Their new iteration was based on the bodyplan of a stick insect and much more in line with the verticality of their tall tree surroundings. The antler-like head pieces reinforce their connection to the forest and make them look quite graceful. Much better!

The hunters were given rudimentary joints in their spine for twisting and bending. The arms and legs are separate objects placed in an IK hierarchy to allow for quick and simple posing. Above also a look at the cache of staff weapons, some of them reminiscent of dentists' tools.

Having a more prominent focal point helped a lot in cleaning up the composition. Above a closer look at the tooth monument. Some of the fish were placeholder and later swapped for more stylized versions.

[render render render]

:: continue>